[gmx-developers] Question on SHAKE equations

Anton Feenstra k.a.feenstra at vu.nl
Tue Jun 11 11:36:17 CEST 2013

On 10/06/13 20:36, "Pablo García Risueño" wrote:
> Dear Anton
>
> Thank you very much for your explanations. They are very important for my
> research.
>
> I regret I still need to ask more. So  what is the way of operationg for
> Gromacs when setting h_angles in the constraint block? Is it working with
> P-LINCS, or with the method of your JCC paper?

Constraints are handled by either SHAKE or LINCS for any other bond (or
angle), as chosen by the user. The only exception is SETTLE which is
defined explicitly in the SPC topology file.

Virtual sites (formerly called dummy atoms) are only *used* when
explicitly defined (by the user), or generated by pdb2gmx with the
-vsite option, IIRC. These constructions are quite distinct from
constraints, as v-sites have no mass but are only a point for an
interaction function (charge and/or LJ). (Note that for mass
conservation in a molecule, the mass of the v-site atom should be added
elsewhere.)

You can read all of this and some more, I think, in the paper and the
relevant section(s) in the Gromacs manual.

> Moreover, I cannot see why the C-N-C angle should be constrained when
> constraining the C1-N-H and the C2-N-H angles (see scheme below).
>     C1--N--C2
>
> In principle C1-N-H and C2-N-H lie in different planes, they are two
> 'triangles' which share one edge (this edge is the H-N bond), but which
> can rotate around it in 3D, isn't this true?

Yes, but not for the protein backbone, which is planar around the amide
group (imposed by impropers). But also for e.g. a C-CH2-C group,
constriaining all C-C-H angles (4 of them) would effecively also
constrain the C-C-C angle.

> I know of the limitations of LINCS and P-LINCS, but I was wondering if
> there would be any problem if inverting the cosntraint matrix by using
> direct Gaussian elimination (which should not carry any instability
> problem). I don't know if constraining all the H angles a la Gromacs is
> actually leading to some impossible geometry.

For this, I'm bumping back our discussion to the gmx-dev list.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0021999177900985)

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1081 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands   |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Does All This Money Really Have To Go To Charity ?"  |
|             | (Rick)                                                |