[gmx-developers] parallel make problems

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Mon Jun 17 19:59:07 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Manuel Nuno Melo <m.n.melo at rug.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have also had linking problems when making in parallel. In my case they
>> could be traced back to the option to let GMX download/build its own fftw
>> (-DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON).
>>
>> It seems that only one of make's threads starts building fftw, while the
>> others go ahead building/linking GMX. Since fftw compilation is not ready by
>> the time it is needed, GMX linking is botched.
>

> Yes, Rossen first showed this to me. I don't know if the underlying issue is
> that the dependency cannot be described properly, or that we're not doing it
> properly. If it's a problem, people are welcome to contribute a fix! :-)
It was working in https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/1675/12. You then
changed how the dependency works in patch set 13. You never replied to
Christophs comment why this was changed (at least I can't find a
reply). Do you remember? Otherwise I can change it back as 12 did it
and it should work again.

Roland

> Mark
>

>> Cheers,
>> Manel
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I too suspect filesystem issues or clock skews. I think I tested make -j
>> > and make -j 12. The cluster is currently down for maintenance, so I can't
>> > inspect the details at the moment.

>> www interface or send it to gmx-developers-request at gromacs.org.

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309