[gmx-developers] parallel make problems

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Jun 19 19:12:50 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

>> The other alternative that would work reliably is to use CMake to
>> build FFTW (possibly creating the CMakeLists.txt files if they don't
>> already exist) and using add_subdirectory to bring this in as a normal
>> target. Something VTK does for many third party libraries for example,
>> but the burden of maintaining a secondary build system for a project
>> can be pretty high.
>

> Yeah :-)

If this is maintained by a community of cmake users it might actually
be a viable solution. Someone already started it:
https://github.com/smanders/fftw-cmake

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se> wrote:
> I do agree with you to a fairly large extent. However, most of the
> above workarounds are meant to support non-essential features, so
> either a warning (e.g. "skipping consitency check because CMake
> version <2.8.X") or in other cases a fatal error (e.g. "Insufficient
> CMake version for feature X") would be just fine instead of *
> hardcoded* very recent required version which would prevent users from
> building even if they don't use the feature which requires a late
> CMake version. Regarding points 2 and 3, those are good examples of
> minor feature additions which we could have chosen to ignore and stick
> to the legacy behavior, but we did not.

I think a huge advantage of requiring ~2.8.10 for 5.0 is that we have
way less combinations to tests. For optional features Jenkins doesn't
help, and having to test for things like the fftw-download >11
versions whether they all work correctly is a huge pain. Thus this
suggestion wouldn't help with reducing the testing work. One would
still need to test all versions to check whether they are working, so
that one could print the correct errors/warnings. So I prefer having
one common minimum required version for all of Gromacs cmake.

Roland

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309