[gmx-developers] TPR parsing

Krzysztof Mlynarczyk mitomaster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 13:29:54 CET 2013

Hello,

I have a similar problem with tpr files.
Linking to the gromacs library is fine as long as one wishes to write yet
another typical analysis tool.
I'm writing an extension for another application and if the function from
gromacs library calls gmx_fatal(), everything is getting killed while I'd
like to tell the user that there was an error and wait for further
instructions. I can do that with trajectories if I use libxdrfile package
that returns error codes instead of exiting.
Now I see two solutions:

   1. Port tpr reading routines to libxdrfile and make them return error
   codes that can be checked and handled. This would be the most elegant
   solution but requires quite a bit of work (and subsequent maintenance to
   keep it in sync with current gmx version - but perhaps that could be
   automated with a script).
   2. Write an external program that will be called with system() function
   and extracts the needed tpr data. Errors in it would not affect the
   extension and main application. This is the fastest way, but makes the
   plugin gromacs-dependent.

Or maybe there is a third option I don't see? What would you advise?

Krzysztof Mlynarczyk