[gmx-developers] Re: Coulomb decoupling?

Floris Buelens floris_buelens at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 09:02:19 CEST 2013

Hi David,

I can answer the question with regards to A and B states. With free energy calculations switched on, Gromacs does the reciprocal space PME calculation twice (two PME grids), corresponding to the A and B states, with respective energies and forces mixed linearly according your lambda. If your solute is coupled in the A state and decoupled in B, the A state grid represents solvent and solute, the B state grid solvent only. All periodic interactions are represented in the A state. The B state PME grid only represents solvent-solvent electrostatics.

Then as the manual says, extra explicit interactions are added between all solute atom pairs in the B state. These are straight Lennard-Jones and Coulomb potentials and are calculated without cutoff, so the nominal equivalent for the B state would be a simulation of the solute in vacuo with infinite cutoff and no periodicity.

I'm not as clear on how this all interacts with the dispersion correction. If the only issue is what Berk mentions, that the average C6 will be marginally off, I would expect an error that's not zero but certainly tiny. If on the other hand there are differences in the way the solute is decoupled from the long range correction going from A to B this could be significant.

Best,

Floris