[gmx-developers] libxml2

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Nov 10 21:35:33 CET 2013

On 2013-11-10 20:58, Erik Lindahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One reason could be that we haven’t really started to use standardized XML input/output formats yet, although we’re heading there long term. I’m also not enough of an expert to say whether libxml2 is the best XML parser out there, since there are quite a few alternatives?
>
> If there are any specific new modules that would need it, doesn’t it make more sense to have those modules go through the normal code review (including a discussion of whether the proposed XML formats are nicely designed, etc), rather than separately making XML a hard requirement even if the current code doesn’t rely on it?

This is why I asked. I think we should refrain from adding more text
only poorly documented files that are prone to errors. Therefore I used
a XML files in this patch https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/2659/, however
Teemu pointed out that it does not compile without XML (since there are
no ifdefs). So rather than implementing TWO versions of the code to read
in the necessary data, we have to decide to make this obligatory now or
not.

As regards compiling under windows (from the libxml2 website):

Libxml2 is known to be very portable, the library should build and work
without serious troubles on a variety of systems (Linux, Unix, Windows,
CygWin, MacOS, MacOS X, RISC Os, OS/2, VMS, QNX, MVS, VxWorks, ...)

It is distributed under the MIT license so I guess we could even include
it in the source code as a backup. With the known portability and the
license I don't see any reason not to. It comes pre-installed on Macs
and Linux by the way.