[gmx-developers] libxml2

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Mon Nov 11 13:32:49 CET 2013

PS:

If it wasn’t implicitly clear, I can try to help realize this, although I can’t promise to do it right away, and I can’t do it myself :-)

To try to be constructive, I’ve been considering the scenario where we want to describe the execution of a complete job, including some components that will require extra chemical data. Longer-term, I think it would be great if we could assemble a single XML document that really describes the entire system (even coordinates), force field, topology, simulation, the MDP settings, metadata settings for parallelization, and not least the chemical data.

Then we could have a structure with a top-level “gromacs” XML namespace that just contains metadata (user, generating program, etc) and a bunch of lower namespaces that contain the actual data.
These could for instance be “forcefield”, “topology”, mdp parameters, and likely a separate block to be able to describe higher-level simulation metadata (e.g. parallelization or that we should run N simulations in REMD).

We don’t need to think of the contents of most of these until we implement them. If we want to start with the special case of structure factors I guess the questions we should think of are:

1) Where do we see this type of data fitting in a bigger Gromacs namespace? What other similar data might we have in the future?

2) Are there any other structure factors that could occur in a simulation (say, X-ray)? Can we describe those in the same datastructure, or should they be separate? If separate, we should reflect that in the naming, etc.

3) Can we design a simple datastructure for _this_ type of data, so other programs that need it can ask Gromacs (which will also validate input xml files) rather than write their own XML parsing code?

If that sounds potentially interesting I can try to contribute by starting to sketch on the highest-level namespace?

Cheers,

Erik