[gmx-developers] FLOP accounting in Gromacs 4.6

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 15:45:19 CEST 2013

+1 to Berk's comment.

The fact that doing N-body w/ O(N^2) algorithm is the best way to hit
peak flop/s immediately suggests this is the wrong metric.

The best (portable) performance metric I've seen for an MD code is
particle updates per second per core. That's what we use when
analyzing LAMMPS on BGQ vs x86, etc.

There are essentially no flops in comm btw (reductions are the
exception); there one often uses just total time as the figure of
merit.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone