[gmx-developers] plans for mdrun features to deprecate in GROMACS 5.0

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Mon Sep 16 15:55:23 CEST 2013

Hi,

well …

You might have guest yourself that dropping the particle decomposition is a problem for me since I took the time to fill up a report on a bug that I explain quite substantially how and why it was a problem.

pd remains the only manner to run a system with unusual bonded terms that span a large part of the box. dd and dlb simply do not go through and there is then no way to run the system.

I used pd in a few application where the relative orientation of proteins were restrains using distance, angle and dihedral angles. the restrains were subsequently treated using a 6d-wham algorithm to obtain the PMF … I guess this won't be possible anymore … very very very sad!

While using coarse grain model pd was also often the only solution to run a system during the equilibration. It was never clear why but non-equilibrated system have severe trouble to run using dd.

to conclude removing particle decomposition is a disaster.

XAvier.