[gmx-developers] Making libgromacs a dynamic loadable object

Peter Kasson kasson at virginia.edu
Mon Sep 30 18:09:30 CEST 2013

I'm very much in favor of this, and I think that having a trade-off of
full-static and machine-optimized versus dynamic load of libgromacs is
reasonable.  Ideally we'd still allow libgromacs to be mostly static if the
user wishes.  But as Erik says, most platforms that want fully static are
also platforms where we can live with compile-time optimizations,
particularly if we have the ability to have "dynamic" just be loading a set
of libgromacs_XXX.so in a specified directory (e.g. cwd), so we can bundle
all the needed libraries.

This is something I think is important and something I'm willing to
contribute to (pending scheduling commitments of course).

Cheers,
--Peter

Peter Kasson, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor
Departments of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics
and of Biomedical Engineering
University of Virginia