[gmx-developers] Help needed with tng_io library

Semen Esilevsky yesint4 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:19:30 CEST 2014

Dear All,
I'm currently trying to add support for tng files to my code and I realised that I can't understand the logic of the library at all. I'm definetely doing something wrong, but can't figure out a mistake.
The tng code is got from the latest git. Test trajectory is generated by Gromacs 5.0.

I can open the tng file and can extract, for example, position exponential correctly, but after that...

Problem #1: getting number of frames.

int64_t n1,n2;
tng_num_frames_get(trj, &n1);
tng_num_frame_sets_get(trj, &n2);

This gets
n1 = 10761
n2 = 1086

The correct number of frames is 1086.

What on Earth is returned from tng_num_frames_get()?

Problem #2: Reading past the end of file.

stat = tng_util_particle_data_next_frame_read(trj, TNG_TRAJ_POSITIONS, &values,
                                                  &datatype, &frame, &physical_time);

This function should return false when no more frames are available, right? It doesn't do this and reads forever returning garbage in values when called in a loop. stat is always true. How should I use it correctly to finish reading at the end of file?
Also concerning the strange thing with the number of frames and frame sets - what it reads actually each time?

Problem #3: tng_util_pos_read_range() behaves insane

int n=0;
bool stat = true;
while(stat){
    stat = tng_util_pos_read_range(trj,n,n, &ptr, &len);
    n++;
}

This always stops at n=10 (why?!), while the number of frames is 1086! What I'm doing wrong here?

I've also tried VMD plugin from pre-release VMD 1.9.2. It is said that this plugin is contributed by Gromacs developers, so it should work in principle. It doesn't work because of the bug #2 - it reads forever beyond the end of file.

The test tng file is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_ng_72VH8BQlFsTGJOVC1oMjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,
Semen