[gmx-developers] Debye formula (spherical averaging) in SAXS calculation !

Anjaiah Nalaparaju anjai.che at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:15:49 CEST 2014

Hello,

I just want to check, in the saxs module from the latest gromacs version
there is a loop in sfactor.c under function " extern void
compute_structure_factor " as mentioned below

/*
 *  compute the square modulus of the structure factor, averaging on the
surface
 *  kx*kx + ky*ky + kz*kz = krr*krr
 *  note that this is correct only for a (on the macroscopic scale)
 *  isotropic system.
 */

1. Does it corresponds to kind of spherical averaging by rotating
scattering wave vector "q" over the surface. If not, what is the reason to
have this loop. I think, we just need to calculate structure factor one
time for a given scattering angle. So I am not sure why this loop is used.

2.  If it is one way of implementing spherical averaging, is it accurate to
do like this.Because, I found there is some change in the SAXS profile if I
change the orientation of protein and calcualte saxs.

3. How can we use the saxs module in latest gromacs version to get the
agreement between calculated and experimental data and also to remove the
orientation effect. I mean to get result close to the debye implementation
with the present version.

Thanks for your time and help

Best regards