[gmx-developers] Mixed license post 5.0

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Feb 6 21:59:32 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm considering the following option:

what if gromacs would sport a second binary apart from "gmx" that would
be licensed under the GPLv2 license and hence be able to link to other
GPL libraries?

The advantage would be that we can e.g. link to openbabel, and in this
manner read in gaussian files (I have for instance a tool that creates a
GAFF topology for small molecules from gaussian files). Linux
distributors could distribute the package without problems as far as I see.

Any drawbacks?

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.