[gmx-developers] Mixed license post 5.0

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Thu Feb 6 23:38:56 CET 2014

Hi,

Just to confirm what Roland said: We deliberately chose LGPLv2.1 (or later) since it’s the most liberal of all these licenses. Anybody is more than welcome to link to other code that is GPLv2/3, in which case the resulting binary will have that license.

However, personally I will vote against accepting patches into the main Gromacs codebase that rely on large external libraries that are are not compatlble with LGPLv2 since that will just cause further fractioning and large parts of the source code that are not tested by default. Such things are better distributed as separate programs, IMHO.

Cheers,

Erik