[gmx-developers] [RFC] setting up dependency between GMX_OPENMP and TNG_USE_OPENMP

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Feb 11 19:26:16 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM, David van der Spoel
<spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>wrote:

> On 2014-02-11 14:40, Roland Schulz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > why does TNG_USE_OPENMP even exist? Why would a user want to set
> > TNG_USE_OPENMP to something other than GMX_OPENMP? If it is really
> > needed I suggest making TNG_USE_OPENMP a multi-choice (on, off, auto),
> > where auto is the default and auto takes the value from GMX_OPENMP.
> >
> I guess because tng is also distributed as a separate package.

That would explain why we need the variable TNG_USE_OPENMP, but not why
that variable ever needs to be different than GMX_OPENMP. If there is no
need for the user to be able to choose them independent, then it is
trivial, because we can simply set TNG_USE_OPENMP to GMX_OPENMP.

Roland