[gmx-developers] [gmx-core] removal of encad and gmx FF in 5.0?

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Fri Feb 14 17:24:57 CET 2014

On 02/14/2014 05:16 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:

> On 2/14/14, 11:12 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
>> Removing encad and gmx sounds good. Probably don't have time to rip
>> out the code
>> that supported encad.
>>
>> We're happy to add forcefields that are used by more than one person,
>> have been
>> extensively tested, have an associated publication record, etc. Any
>> particular
>> suggestions, Alexey? Others?
>>
>> Off the top of my head, Charmm36 would be an obvious thing to add. My
>> reservation here is that there's not really ever been a good way to run
>> CHARMM-style non-bondeds in GROMACS. I suspect this will change in
>> 5.0 with
>> Verlet-kernel support for switch functions, but perhaps a fully
>> validated
>> forcefield and workflow port for 5.1 would be a good joint project.
>> Thoughts,
>> Justin?
>>

> Yes, we're working on that.  I'm personally looking into the best ways
> to run CHARMM force fields within Gromacs.  Couple that with my
> ongoing implementation of our Drude algorithms and I think 5.1 is a
> good target.  Our only reservations about including a CHARMM36 force
> field directory in Gromacs are: (1) we update the force field quite
> frequently, certainly more often than Gromacs versions are released
> and (2) we keep detailed statistics about downloads from our lab
> website to help track usage (and get grants :).
>
> At minimum, I am perfectly happy to oversee the coordination between
> Gromacs and the CHARMM force fields in terms of making sure we have a
> suitable (recent) distribution ready whenever a new Gromacs release
> comes out.
Maybe (but maybe not) we currently need a little extra functionality in
Gromacs for CHARMM36. But after that, the force-field files should be
independent of the Gromacs version. Force-field distributions not
included into the Gromacs distribution can be updated independently from
the code/releases.

Are parameters of existing common molecules being updated in CHARMM36,
or are only new molecules being added?

Cheers,

Berk