[gmx-developers] make docs-all successfully completes but generates no docs

Teemu Murtola teemu.murtola at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 12:32:15 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com>wrote:

> I could not find any
> documentation or reference to a required doxygen version on the wiki
> (there is nothing on doxygen on the wiki, it seems?).

Up to quite recently, there was a separate page on the wiki on Doxygen. It
had content that was more or less identical to the current
http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Doxygen_Nightly_master/javadoc/html-lib/page_doxygen.xhtml(except
somewhat outdated and had much less formatting or examples), but I
removed it after the above got merged into master for a few different
reasons:

   - The information is very tightly tied to what is currently used in the
   source tree, so it is easiest to keep them in sync if both can be updated
   at the same time (and this also automatically takes care of the delay that
   code review brings).
   - Maintaining the text and making it easy to read was a pain in the
   wiki. With the current Markdown approach, it was actually possible to focus
   on the content and get the text and the examples ready in a lot shorter
   amount of time than it took to write the relatively messy wiki page. This
   is true even after considering that I had to fight with some weird Doxygen
   bugs or inconsistencies how it handled some things in Markdown.
   - During the time the information was on the wiki (a few years now), my
   impression was that it wasn't used that much, so I simply picked a location
   that is most convenient for me to maintain.
   - When the changes go through Gerrit, there is some finite chance to
   discuss things at that point, which the wiki approach didn't really
   accomplish: the wiki page and some related pages contained several
   questions that would need thinking about (some of them are also in Redmine
   issues), but I did not receive a single comment about any of those.
   - No one objected to removing the wiki page when the change was in
   review in Gerrit.

The mentioned Jenkins-generated page is two clicks away from the wiki,
starting from a link at the top of
http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Programming_Guide

Best regards,
Teemu