[gmx-developers] jenkins LJ-PME verify failures expected

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Fri Jan 24 09:40:20 CET 2014

On 01/24/2014 09:03 AM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2014-01-22 21:24, Mark Abraham wrote:
>> Not serious, unless you ran them on the GROMACS beta!
>> (https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/3018/)
>
> Is that irony?
>
> This in principle means the long range exclusion corrections for LJPME
> were wrong, or not? And hence no energy conservation, and all results
> in Christian's paper are wrong and also the runs we have done?
Strictly speaking yes.

The forces on directly constrained atoms are irrelevant, since those are
removed anyhow.
The forces on 1-3 and 1-4 do matter.
I ran a quick test of a protein in Amber with cut-off 1 nm and default
PME settings. I get fscal values between -2 and -1.  Part of this will
be canceled by constraints. I don't think such small force errors will
affect the results measurably, also because there is little flexibility
in 1-3 and 1-4 distances.
Note that the energies are correct.

Cheers,

Berk