[gmx-developers] Gromacs benchmark set

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 3 09:27:04 CEST 2014

On 02/07/14 09:28, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
> Hi Szilárd,
>
> There are actualy few goals related to such benchmarking:
>
> 1. Check if this hardware suitable to run GROMACS (I already did some tests on
> my systems such as RecA protein filaments, nucleosomes etc all have sizes ca
> ~800k - 1.4M atoms). Check scaling and compare it to existing systems (thats
> why I ask about some kind of standart benchmark set)
>
> 2. Another thing is to check scalability of algorithms (PME, RF)
>
> RSC PetaStream is a special systems (it has very similar design to next gen
> Xeon Phi KNL systems). It uses Xeon Phi as regular compute nodes connected
> with multiple InfiniBand links so Xeon Phi to Xeon Phi bandwith is ~6GB/s on
> medium and large size MPI messages.
>
> As I see on some systems GMX 5.0 on Xeon Phi scales quite well (up to ~100-200
> atoms per Xeon Phi thread)

However a benchmark should not be all about 1M atom systems (nothing
against those) but should also cover smaller systems, such that we can
show scaling versus system size too. I could contribute some relatively
simple liquids.

We should also focus on accuracy. In 5.0 we now have LJ-PME and we
should push that we can achieve higher accuracy in our calculations with
this (I'm about to submit a force field paper on this). Hence we should
not waste (too much) time on low accuracy solutions that are of limited
practical use - read Reaction Fields.