[gmx-developers] hi-res peregrine for logo

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Tue Nov 4 16:28:15 CET 2014

On 04 Nov 2014, at 16:04, Lee-Ping Wang <leeping at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I’m not a graphic designer, but here are my thoughts:
>
> 1)      If the text is to the right of the peregrine falcon, it looks like it’s flying into the words.  I think it’s better for the words to be behind the bird, and for it to be looking beyond the image.  I like Mark’s latest design best (gromacs-logo-square-gromacs-on-top.jpg).
>
> 2)      I would explore different fonts.  With the current font, the first two letters of “flexible” are running together which looks a bit weird.
It’s called a ligature and probably intended :)

>  Helvetica is a good sans serif font.
>
> 3)      I liked the dark blue for GROMACS on the first page of the manual since it provides a subtle color accent (in addition to the bird’s yellow beak and feet).
>
> I’m attaching a slightly modified version of Mark’s latest logo where I changed the fonts and moved things around a bit.  I tried to give the bird more space, and made the words “fast flexible free” follow the outline of the bird’s wing and tail.
We should keep in mind, though, that space is often limited for a logo
(not on the cover of the manual, but on other places like in the edge of a slide).
That means, the more space you are putting around the letters, the smaller
they will be in a space-limited environment. Especially thin fonts could
get difficult to read then. That is not really a problem, if one can not
read the “fast flexible free” but it would be sad if one cannot even read
the ‘Gromacs’. Therefore, I vote for using a somewhat bolder font at least
for the word ’Gromacs’.

Carsten

> If you’re interested, here’s the Dropbox link to the Photoshop file (it’s 300 KB and too large to post to this list):https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5381783/gromacs-logo-lpw.psd
>
> Thanks,
>
> -          Lee-Ping

Dr. Carsten Kutzner
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-2012313, Fax: +49-551-2012302
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/grubmueller/kutzner
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/grubmueller/sppexa