[gmx-developers] Gerrit activity

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sat Nov 8 22:43:37 CET 2014

Hi,

a few more numbers. Maybe we can encourage more review
by acknowledging each other more for doing review. In that spirit I want to
thank Teemu for being the reviewer of the month October for most review
comments:

select FULL_NAME, count(*) as messages from CHANGE_MESSAGES as m, CHANGES
as c, accounts as a where account_id=AUTHOR_ID and c.CHANGE_ID=m.CHANGE_ID
and AUTHOR_ID<>OWNER_ACCOUNT_ID and month(m.WRITTEN_ON)=10 and
year(m.WRITTEN_ON)=2014 group by FULL_NAME order by messages desc;
 FULL_NAME           | MESSAGES
 --------------------+---------
 Jenkins Buildbot    | 253
 Teemu Murtola       | 80
 Roland Schulz       | 54
 Szilárd Páll        | 35
 Mark Abraham        | 35
 Berk Hess           | 32
 Carsten Kutzner     | 9
 David van der Spoel | 8
 Jiri Kraus          | 7
 Rossen Apostolov    | 5
 Erik Lindahl        | 4
 Thomas Ullmann      | 4
 Christian Wennberg  | 1
 Viveca Lindahl      | 1
 John Eblen          | 1
 Justin Lemkul       | 1
(16 rows; 339 ms)

In the last 90 days we did pretty well have having an OK ratio of review
votes to commits created. Largely because Mark did a lot of reviewing for
all of us:

select full_name, reviewed, authored, round(cast(reviewed as
float)/authored,2) as ratio from accounts a left JOIN
(select OWNER_ACCOUNT_ID as ACCOUNT_ID, count(*) as authored from Changes
where status<>'d' and DEST_PROJECT_NAME='gromacs' and  now()-created_on<90
group by ACCOUNT_ID) C
ON A.ACCOUNT_ID=C.ACCOUNT_ID left join
(select ACCOUNT_ID, count(distinct c.CHANGE_ID) as reviewed from
PATCH_SET_APPROVALS as P,Changes as C where CATEGORY_ID='Code-Review' and
C.change_id=P.change_id and p.ACCOUNT_ID<>OWNER_ACCOUNT_ID and VALUE!=0 and
DEST_PROJECT_NAME='gromacs' and now()-granted<90 group by ACCOUNT_ID) R
ON R.ACCOUNT_ID=A.ACCOUNT_ID where authored is not null or reviewed is not
null order by ratio, authored;

 FULL_NAME           | REVIEWED | AUTHORED | RATIO
 --------------------+----------+----------+------
 Alexey Shvetsov     | 1        | NULL     | NULL
 Paul van Maaren     | 1        | NULL     | NULL
 Thomas Ullmann      | 4        | NULL     | NULL
 Christian Wennberg  | 2        | NULL     | NULL
 John Eblen          | 2        | NULL     | NULL
 Jeroen Engelberts   | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Åke Sandgren        | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Jiri Kraus          | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Christoph Junghans  | NULL     | 2        | NULL
 Rossen Apostolov    | 1        | 10       | 0.1
 Magnus Lundborg     | 3        | 5        | 0.6
 Teemu Murtola       | 58       | 75       | 0.77
 Jan Henning Peters  | 1        | 1        | 1.0
 Berk Hess           | 24       | 22       | 1.09
 Roland Schulz       | 85       | 65       | 1.31
 Erik Lindahl        | 21       | 15       | 1.4
 Justin Lemkul       | 6        | 4        | 1.5
 Carsten Kutzner     | 7        | 4        | 1.75
 Viveca Lindahl      | 2        | 1        | 2.0
 David van der Spoel | 22       | 9        | 2.44
 Mark Abraham        | 137      | 40       | 3.43
 Szilárd Páll        | 26       | 5        | 5.2
(22 rows; 3460 ms)

But the same query for the last 30 days shows that we now all have less
than 2 review votes per change created. That isn't sustainable if we want
to keep our policy of 2 votes per commit.

select full_name, reviewed, authored, round(cast(reviewed as
float)/authored,2) as ratio from accounts a left JOIN
(select OWNER_ACCOUNT_ID as ACCOUNT_ID, count(*) as authored from Changes
where status<>'d' and DEST_PROJECT_NAME='gromacs' and  now()-created_on<30
group by ACCOUNT_ID) C
ON A.ACCOUNT_ID=C.ACCOUNT_ID left join
(select ACCOUNT_ID, count(distinct c.CHANGE_ID) as reviewed from
PATCH_SET_APPROVALS as P,Changes as C where CATEGORY_ID='Code-Review' and
C.change_id=P.change_id and p.ACCOUNT_ID<>OWNER_ACCOUNT_ID and VALUE!=0 and
DEST_PROJECT_NAME='gromacs' and now()-granted<30 group by ACCOUNT_ID) R
ON R.ACCOUNT_ID=A.ACCOUNT_ID where authored is not null or reviewed is not
null order by ratio, authored;

 FULL_NAME           | REVIEWED | AUTHORED | RATIO
 --------------------+----------+----------+------
 Thomas Ullmann      | 4        | NULL     | NULL
 Christian Wennberg  | 1        | NULL     | NULL
 John Eblen          | 2        | NULL     | NULL
 Jeroen Engelberts   | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Magnus Lundborg     | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Jiri Kraus          | NULL     | 1        | NULL
 Teemu Murtola       | 13       | 22       | 0.59
 Viveca Lindahl      | 1        | 1        | 1.0
 Szilárd Páll        | 1        | 1        | 1.0
 Justin Lemkul       | 1        | 1        | 1.0
 David van der Spoel | 2        | 2        | 1.0
 Roland Schulz       | 19       | 17       | 1.12
 Mark Abraham        | 8        | 6        | 1.33
 Carsten Kutzner     | 3        | 2        | 1.5
 Berk Hess           | 9        | 6        | 1.5
(15 rows; 3482 ms)

I of course don't suggest that everyone needs to have a ratio over 2 (the
numbers don't capture that some changes are trivial and other are difficult
to review or any other aspects related to size, complexity, and quality).
But we do need the ratio over 2 in average and thus need to do something so
that we all do some more reviews.

Roland