[gmx-developers] soft-core atom selection

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Nov 19 09:36:32 CET 2014

Hi,

Soft-core is not decided on an atom basis. A pair interaction is
soft-cored when at least one of the two atoms is perturbed and at least
one of the atoms has c12=0 at lambda=0 or lambda=1. So for atoms with
LJ, interactions are only soft-cored when strictly necessary. For atoms
without LJ, e.g. many hydrogens in many force fields, all perturbed
interactions are soft-cored. For such atoms soft-coring is necessary
when connected to a heavy atom that is decoupled. So the only cases
where some interactions are soft-cored that are not strictly necessary
is in a system where some atoms are decoupled and others are modified,
then interactions with hydrogens connected to modified atoms would not
need to be soft-cored.

Cheers,

Berk