[gmx-developers] plans for Gromacs 5.1 release

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 14:13:25 CET 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Shirts, Michael R. (mrs5pt) <
mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

>  Hi, all-
> My goals for 5.1:
>
>    - High priority:
>       - Resolve any lingering issues with proper framework to do free
>       energy changes, so that everything is better documented and consistent, and
>       addressing lingering questions.
>          - Topics include verifying Hamiltonian replica exchange, making
>          sure integrated with pull code, deciding on best practices, clearing out
>          redmine with free energy related issues, partially unifying analysis
>          approaches.  Adding a MBAR option into GROMACS would be nice, but may need
>          to wait.

Great. These are things also very important here. It's not healthy for the
code to have Shirts-style and old-style implementations not properly
integrated, tested and documented.

>    -
>       -
>     - Finally remove the iteration code  (literally in the middle of
>       rebasing the removed-iteration code to the current master when receiving
>       this email)

Great. I recently considered throwing a birthday party for this patch :-)
The mechanics of the rebase would be very easy for me to do (main issue is
the ongoing header file reorganization in master) - but we need more eyes
than mine on the result!

>    -
>       -
>     - At least partially reorganize the integrator framework bookkeeping
>       to be cleaner and in the Trotter decomposition style.  This would be a code
>       reorganization, but should not be a feature change at this point. So the
>       scope would be whatever is manageable.

Good; it will also be easier to see the wood once the iteration trees are
gone.

Mark