[gmx-developers] Verlet kernel testing in 5.1

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Oct 1 00:57:40 CEST 2014

Hi,

1) Both regressiontests and unit-tests are important. Unit tests won't be
able to find bugs which are in the interplay of different modules. Unit
tests make it *much* easier to narrow down an issue and run many tests
quickly. Thus even if we have a way to run the verlet tests as unit-tests
(which would be awesome) we still needed a regressiontest framework.

2) There are multiple serialization frameworks for C++. The issue has a lot
of overlap with how to communicate complex data structures over MPI. And
also a bit with how to offload those data structures to an accelerator.
Thus it might make sense that we use the same framework for unit tests and
MPI. See http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/996.

3) I don't think we should move tests from gmxtest.pl to the
mdrun-integrationtests until the later is at least as functional (i.e.
compares output values). And we should decide which way we go sooner rather
than later. I don't think the perl approach is inherently bad. If we
rewrite it partly to make it more extensible it might be a nice long-term
solution.

Roland

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309