[gmx-developers] Lambda dynamics

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Thu Oct 9 14:02:00 CEST 2014

Hi Michael,

On 09 Oct 2014, at 13:45, Shirts, Michael R. (mrs5pt) <mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi, all-
>
> Carsten, I've been thinking about how to incorporate this into the current
> free energy structure.  It would be good to coordinate,
That sounds great!

> perhaps over
> redmine if that isn’t too public?
I think some time ago Thomas already left some comments on
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1332

Would this be the proper thread for further discussions?

> I think one if the issues with a lot of
> the free energy functionality being inconsistent and sometimes unreliable
> is that we’ve all been working piecemeal instead of coordinating.
Right. At some point we realized that PME is not very suited
when it comes to calculating multiple alternative states (since one needs
to do the communication-intense transforms for each alternative
charge grid) so we started to work on providing a fast multipole method
as an alternative to PME for such scenarios. This is in progress
and the topology/free energy treatment can be worked on more or less
independently.

Regards,
  Carsten