[gmx-developers] question about crystal symmetry in simulations

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Sun Oct 26 11:02:15 CET 2014

Hi,

What is the purpose of such a simulation?
Putting a single copy of a small molecule in a crystal geometry will
allow so little freedom of motion that is most cases nothing will
happen, even when it should. Multiple copies will help here and might
even be necessary to get a unit-cell that is large enough for a
reasonable cut-off, although indeed LJPME might help. You probably need
more advanced techniques, e.g MC moves, to not simply get out what you
put in.

Additionally there are technical issues with many crystal symmetries. I
have been asked multiple times if I could implement the rotational
symmetry for typical multimeric membrane proteins. But this results in a
singularity at the rotational point in the middle, which is not
compatible with MD. It might work with energy minimization though
(although it will require a lot of work).

Cheers,

Berk