[gmx-developers] pull-geometry=position is no longer supported

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Sep 24 20:08:40 CEST 2014

On 09/24/2014 07:44 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2014-09-24 19:14, David van der Spoel wrote:

>> Just realized that the fatal error is in tpxio.c, so I do no see a
>> possibility to build a workaround for that.
> Unless I move it to mdrun. Right now the code is like this:
>
>         /* epullgPOS for position pulling, before epullgDIRPBC was
> removed */
>         if (pull->eGeom == epullgDIRPBC)
>         {
>             gmx_fatal(FARGS, "pull-geometry=position is no longer
> supported");
>         }
>         if (pull->eGeom > epullgDIRPBC)
>         {
>             pull->eGeom -= 1;
>         }
>
> would it be OK to remove both statements, and implement the gmx_fatal
> in mdrun? Then gmx wham can do something intelligent. Maybe.
That would also require the enum to be changed back.
But I don't see the point. In 5.0 mdrun no longer supports pull-geometry
= position, so there is no point in supporting it in g_wham of version
5.0. This would only be useful for processing 4.6 pull xvg files with a
5.0 g_wham.

For most setup you should be able to use the origin option together with
geometry=distance to get the same results. Then g_wham should work for
5.0 input and output. Even the g_wham 5.0 could work with 4.6
geometry=position output when the number of column matches.

Cheers,

Berk