[gmx-developers] automated performance testing

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:22:41 CEST 2014

Hi,

Cherry-picking Michael's email into its own thread:

> Is there a plan (long term) to do (essentially) automated performance
tests so that we
> can perform consistent(ish) checks for new changes in code, then post the
results in an
> easy(ish) way to interpret for others?

There's no organized plan. I've lately been trying to organize a dedicated
machine here so we can start to do some of this - had we had it and the
right kinds of tests then various bugs would not have gone unnoticed. In
principle, people could run that test suite on their own hardware, of
course.

One option I've been toying with lately is dumping the mdrun performance
data matrix to XML (or something) so that some existing plotting machinery
can show the trend over time (and also observe a per-commit delta large
enough to vote -1 on Jenkins). I also mean to have a poke around with
http://www.phoromatic.com/ to see if maybe it already has infrastructure we
could use.