[gmx-developers] expressing high-level mdrun code

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Apr 20 11:32:37 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-09 01:36, Mark Abraham wrote:
> Hi gmx-devs,
>
> We periodically have discussion on gerrit that certain kinds of code
> refactoring removes opportunities for inlining, or might degrade
> performance while we call a function that just returns to do_md() after
> checking a simple condition, because we're not e.g. doing a
> neighbour-search step right now. So, I thought we might benefit from a
> group discussion. In particular, insights from people who've tried to do
> things in mdrun and struggled/failed/succeeded-at-ruinous-expense would
> be valuable for the community. There's a lot of related topics I'll talk
> about here (sorry), but just tackling some of them doesn't do justice to
> the complexity of the problem...
>
> The alternative of expressing every condition about everything in raw
> code in do_md() and do_force() is obviously untenable. Function calls
> are required. Such code is rather better than it used to be, and will
> improve further with the death of the group scheme, but there is no good
> reason for do_md() to still be 1500 lines long.
>
> The kind of code I'm talking about is high-level control code, so
> there's going to be a partial or full pipeline stall from some branch,
> cache miss, or other function call in the next few lines of code. Even
> if the run-time penalty of refactoring
>
> if (bDoThis) { someExternFunction(); }
> callNextFunction();

> someExternFunction();
> callNextFunction();
>
> // defined elsewhere as
>
> void someExternFunction()
> {
>     if (!bDoThis) { return; }
> }
>
> (or later doing similar things with virtual functions that might have an
> empty body) is a thousand CPU cycles, that's still under 1 microsecond
> of wallclock, and so we can do scores of them per CPU core per step
> before having a noticeable impact on a target MD iteration time under 1
> ms/step. We can get under 1 ms/step now, but I think pretty much nobody
> can afford to be that inefficient with their hardware, so the real-world
> per-step iteration time is noticeably further away from performance
> impact than our cutting-edge strong scaling. And penalties of 1000
> cycles are pessimistic - a DRAM memory load on x86 is 100-200 cycles
> (e.g.
> http://www3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Lehre/CAMA/SS2014/caches.pdf,
> http://idarkside.org/posts/numbers-you-should-know/).
>
> We can certainly measure that such things as putting control-flow
> conditionals inside functions have negligible effects in practice, but
> that seems to me a fairly Chicken Little approach to development. In
> particular, we can't afford to dedicate a machine capable of
> automatically testing all possible performance regressions, so the
> alternative is manual testing that nobody really wants to do multiple
> times per patch over the code-review process. Maybe a weekly automated
> [...]
Thanks for the long insightful mail.
I'm not so much into performance tuning anymore, but maintainability is
crucial for future extensions and applications and therefore I support
further cleanups.

There is somehow a catch-22 though in that much of the mess you describe
in do_md could be done more elegant and readable using C++. However that
requires a more extensive use of classes throughout the code which makes
such an undertaking rather overwhelming. For now, cleaning up before the
C++ transition (the code equivalent of throwing away old junk before you
move to a new place) seems to be the way to go.

So for what reason do we still need the group scheme?
- Shell/Drude code?
- Tabulated potentials?
- More?

I couldn't find a redmine issue for "completely replacing group scheme
functionality", it might be useful to have one.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.