[gmx-developers] MPI with or without OpenMP

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Thu Apr 23 10:42:30 CEST 2015

Hi,

Always compile Gromacs with OpenMP. The user can decide at runtime to
use one or more OpenMP threads. Using one thread will not result in
measurable overhead compared to a non-OpenMP build.
Thread-MPI is our own drop-in thread based MPI implementation, which is
designed to work together with OpenMP.

So make two builds:
Thread-MPI + OpenMP
MPI + OpenMP