[gmx-developers] last days for 5.1

Kutzner, Carsten ckutzne at gwdg.de
Thu Aug 6 13:21:16 CEST 2015

Hi,

I wanted to quickly report back on tune_pme for 5.1, what are the issues
so we could discuss on how best to proceed.

In principle, tune_pme works, however as a user one may have to set extra
options so that actually tuning can be done.

The issues are:

a) A valid mdrun executable needs to be specified first, see:
https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/4771/

b) On GPU nodes, mdrun typically segfaults, due to timers not being reset
at a neighborsearching step, see:
and http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1781

c) One needs to specify -ntomp somevalue, otherwise it is 1 by default
and mdrun refuses to run.

Issue b) is probably the most important one to address, which could be either
done in mdrun or in tune_pme.
Tune_pme would have to determine from the .tpr what the actual neighborsearching
frequency will be and adjust the counter resetting appropriately.

Carsten