[gmx-developers] Compiling analysis tool with GROMACS 5

Ondrej Marsalek ondrej.marsalek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:23:55 CEST 2015

Dear GROMACS developers,

I have a custom analysis tool that worked with 4.6 and I am trying to
make it work with GROMACS 5. I had to tweak a couple of function calls
with changed signatures but with that, the analysis itself works.
However, I lost the ability to get the documentation using the -h
option. Other common arguments, like -b and -e, work fine (I give
PCA_CAN_TIME to parse_common_args). Is there some obvious change in
version 5 that I am missing that is causing this, or do I need to dig
deeper? Another problem is that where I was previously (with 4.6) able
to provide a .tpr and only optionally an .ndx, if I now only give a
.tpr, the program fails with:

Program GROMACS, VERSION 5.0.2
Source code file:
/home/marsalek/build/gromacs-5.0.2/src/gromacs/fileio/futil.cpp, line:
790

Fatal error:
Library file residuetypes.dat not found in current dir nor in default
directories.
(You can set the directories to search with the GMXLIB path variable)

when get_index is called. If I copy residuetypes.dat to the working
directory, the tool runs fine. Other GROMACS tools also work as
expected.

The analysis code is "old style" for now. I plan to convert it to the
new analysis framework eventually, but for now would like to get it
working properly as is.

Thank you for any suggestions,
Ondrej