[gmx-developers] lots of new SIMD code but very poor jenkins coverage!

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:45:03 CET 2015

Hi,

It seems to be that loads of new SIMD code is getting merged, but our
current jenkins setup is very stripped down (to put it mildly). The current
jenkins setup essentially tests nothing else but AVX2_256 and only with
FFTPACK and without GPUs. Because of the default is explicitly set to
GMX_SIMD=None unless specified otherwise, the rest of the tests all run
with SIMD off.

Am I missing something? This seems very dangerous. Could we not add a few
more configs to get better SIMD coverage? SSE4.1, AVX, KNC, AVX_12_FMA is
readily available and a 32-bit ARM host could be added easily (though
perhaps not for verification but rather as post-submit trigger which AFAIK
works now).

Szilárd