[gmx-developers] SHAKE / LINCS crash

"Pablo García Risueño" Risueno at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 30 11:59:09 CET 2015

>>> Dear Mark
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your reply. However, if I understand it
>>> correctly,
>>> the crash of SHAKE I am speaking about is not a consequence of poor
>>> definition of the input, but of nearly-singularity in the constraint
>>> system of equations to solve. I guess that the (statistical) fails in
>>> LINCS may be due to the fact that the correction that LINCS does may
>>> not
>>> suffice to satisfy the constraints for some given configurations.
>>>

>> Both shake and lincs only correct bond lengths along the direction of
>> the original bond. However, if due to an unphysical situation, e.g.
>> large forces or too long time steps, the bond rotates too much, let us
>> say 90 degrees, the problem becomes unsolvable. Mathematically that
>> could correspond to a singularity in the equations, but the equations
>> become unstable due to other problems as Mark indicated.
> There is one, unimportant, regime where LINCS (not SHAKE) will fail.
> LINCS has the restriction that the eigenvalues of the constraint
> coupling matrix should be smaller than 1, otherwise the expansion
> doesn't converge (see the P-LINCS paper). For normal simulations where
> only bonds are constrained all eigenvalues are smaller than 1. But when
> you would additionally constrain all angles in a medium or large
> molecules, eigenvalues larger than 1 will appear. However, constraining
> all angles in larger molecules is not very useful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Berk

Dear prof. Hess

Thank you very much for your reply. We had a conversation in Sept 2011 in
Zaragoza, where you told me about some errors both in SHAKE and LINCS that
happened specially for large systems after many simulation time steps.
After the explanations of prof. van der Spoel and prof. Feenstra, I find
myself a bit confused, so if you don't mind, I would like to ask you for
further clarification.

I understand the problem of "nearly orthogonality of bonds" pointed by
prof. van der Spoel. However, prof. Feenstra told me that when his
simulation crashes, he solves it by restarting the simulation in the
latest non-crashed step and increasing the number of figures of the atomic
positions. If this can solve the problem, I guess that it cannot be due to
orthogonality of bonds, but rather to constraint matrix singularity (I
expect the constraint matrix to be somewhat chaotic, so the increase of
the number of figures could solve the nearly-singularity). However, I am
not sure on what is actually the origin of the SHAKE and LINCS errors that
you told me about in the past. May you explain me a bit more on it?

Thank you very much. Best regards.