[gmx-developers] Drift in Conserved-Energy with Nose-Hoover thermostat

Bernhard b.reuter at uni-kassel.de
Tue Jul 21 14:43:28 CEST 2015

Dear Michael,

thank you very much for your very helpfull answer.
Obviously we agree on the dubious nature of the linear drift and that
its origin from reduced precision round-off errors is doubtful.
In my opinion the occurence of a linear energy drift of this size could
indicate a bug in the program.
So I startet a more rigorous investigation and would like to share some
preliminary results:

Graph of Verlet buffer-size vs. energy-drift size for single and double
precision:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e56916inlm0ym48/buffersize-vs-total-energy-drift.png?dl=0

Graph of the linear total energy drift for a buffer-size of 0.02nm:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifq3v3jwfzn4goh/4_nve_100ps_rlist-1.02_Total-Energy.png?dl=0

Exemplary mdp and log files for a buffer-size of 0.02nm:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/peamt27d2exhclc/4_nve_100ps_rlist-1.02.mdp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70ictqb6nbs94wk/4_nve_100ps_rlist-1.02.log?dl=0

The investigated protein-water system consists of 22765 atoms, the
AMBER99SB-ILDN force field with TIP3P water was used, all simulations
were in the NVE-ensemble, GROMACS 4.6.7 was used.

I will repeat the tests with GROMACS 5.0 and for different test systems
(i.e. the lysozyme system from the popular lysozyme tutorial of Justin
Lemkul).

Best,
Bernhard