[gmx-developers] Conserved energy drifts more with shorter time steps

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Tue Jun 2 15:25:44 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-02 15:20, Anton Feenstra wrote:
> On 02-06-15 15:14, Berk Hess wrote:

>>> Ok, will try. What about the time step dependence? Any clue?
>> I explained that before, see 4 steps above.
>>
>> Berk

> Yes, at least that is what I saw for my and Berk's 1999 JCC paper.
> At single precision, drift would not go down below a certain time
> step. I have no idea anymore which timestep precisely, and I'm sure
> this would be system specific.
>
> I also recall drift indeed going up at (extreme) short timesteps. My
> intuition for that at the time was that arithmetic errors would
> accumulate faster for calculating many very small delta's.
In that case it was due to the constraint algorithms. The velocity was
corrected with the coordinate difference divided by the time step. Thus
bit noise is amplified inversely proportional with the time step. I
fixed this some years ago for LINCS and SHAKE, but SETTLE still has this
property.

David is not using constraints. So I think the issue here is, as I
mailed before, that the pairlist buffer estimate is more less accurate,
more of an overestimate, for longer pairlist lifetimes (larger time
steps with fixed nslist), which leads to less drift.

Berk