[gmx-developers] Hardware threads vs. OpenMP threads

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Thu Jun 4 14:17:00 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-04 13:46, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 04/06/15 12:51, Berk Hess wrote:
>> PS There is something strange on that machine. If Gromacs detects 16
>> threads, omp_get_num_procs should return 16, not 8.
> Nope.
> The queue system allocates 8 cores out of 16 physical cores to my job.
> GROMACS see both values, reports a conflict, and follows the hardware
> rather than OpenMP settings. I would think it should do the reverse.
So the queue system allocates parts of nodes, not whole nodes? How is a
job supposed to know how many cores to use? If the job uses OpenMP this
trick with omp_get_num_procs might do it, but I would think that in
general the job should get the number of cores to use from some
environment variable set by the queue system.

Berk