[gmx-developers] Intermolecular interactions

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jun 14 16:04:06 CEST 2015

Hi Devs,

I am working on doing some absolute binding free energy calculations and am
running into difficulty preserving the orientation of the ligand.  I have tried
a bunch of things to try to recapitulate the behavior we can achieve in CHARMM
(e.g. dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci300505n) with intermolecular dihedral and angle
restraints, but long story short, I haven't found a way to do it.  I need to
preserve the dihedral between the centers-of-mass of four rings (two in a
cofactor, two in the inhibitor being annihilated).  Merging the topologies
didn't work because I can't selectively annihilate the inhibitor unless the
cofactor is also annihilated, and use of explicit B-state dummy atom types for
the inhibitor requires manual editing of hundreds of bonded interactions, which
I don't think is effective.

It seems that there is a patch in Gerrit that has languished for several months
(https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/2566/) that appears it might do what I need.

I'm happy to provide feedback/testing on that patch if someone (Berk?) can tell
me if I can use the intermolecular bondeds to set up a dihedral restraint that
is lambda-dependent (i.e. perturbed as a function of restraint-lambdas in the
.mdp)?  The pull code works fine to preserve a few translational restraints that
I need, but the relative orientation is the issue I have.  Simply applying an
intermolecular dihedral potential would likely also suffice in lieu of a
restraint if the latter is not possible.

Getting this feature implemented would be a great benefit and I'm happy to be
the guinea pig for it to get it merged.

Thanks for any insight!

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy