[gmx-developers] Reaction field questions (David van der Spoel)

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Mar 4 18:50:24 CET 2015

On 03/04/2015 06:35 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2015-03-04 17:18, Noel Carrascal wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> You asked:
>>
>>> These forces are used to compute the virial and hence the pressure.
>>> Having said that, if you are interested in improved methods for long
>>> range forces, why are you looking at reaction fields?
>>
>> I am interested in isotropic liquids and crystals.  In particular,
>> phase transitions of pure liquids without liquid-solid and liquid-vapor
>> coexistence(if such think is possible). Under these conditions, reaction
>> field
>> methods give results comparable to Ewald summations at a fraction of the
>> computational cost.
>
> It depends what you call comparable. You may want to check e.g.
> Matthias et al. JCP 118 (2003) 10847--10860 who suggest a 4 nm cutoff
> may be needed, or my own work JCTC 2 (2006) 1-11.
>
> I have been thinking a bit about these things lately and come to the
> following (preliminary) conclusion:
> In general, any method that replaces part of the potential by an
> averaged force, like an implicit solvent model, or a coarse grained
> model, uses an ill-defined Hamiltonian. Ill-defined since it contains
> in part the entropic effect of the part left out. That means time
> becomes meaningless, and one is not sampling a Boltzmann energy
> surface anymore. Not sure if RF falls in this category too, but I
> think so.
I wouldn't agree with this. The Hamiltonian is well defined and you do
sample a Boltzmann distribution. But the Hamiltonian and distribution
might be very different from the "correct" Hamiltonian. GB and RF are
effective free-energies, as averaged over certain conditions. If the
conditions you use them in are different from the conditions used to
derive the potential (free-energy), than your results might differ (be
wrong) a bit or a lot.

Cheers,

Berk