[gmx-developers] no mdrun commend in bin folder

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:20:54 CEST 2015

Hi,

Indeed, the symlinks were a short-term convenience feature that were never
intended to remain in the long term. The virtues of a single wrapper binary
are discussed at length at http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/685. We
appreciate the inconvenience to users of updating scripts and thinking from
"mdrun" to "gmx mdrun" but feel it is outweighed by the long-term benefit
to users from GROMACS being more friendly to distributions that might
package it. mdrun is a program name used by other packages, and forcing
package maintainers to come up with their own custom solutions, or give up
on GROMACS, is a worse solution.

Mark