[gmx-developers] How to parallel Gromacs with multi-thread?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:57:33 CET 2015

Hi,

Please don't reply to a digest, because that is confusing for everybody...
(and for a mailing list with O(1) posts per day, in which you want to
participate in discussion, please subscribe in non-digest mode!)

Vincent said

> Hi, the architecture of my machine is like CPU+GPU which are both on
chip. I can use MPI but it will only use the "CPU" part of my machine. So I
want to parallelize the hotspot by offload it to the "GPU" part. My idea is
to do some modification on the code to split the nblist which is like the
OpenMP version of the code. But for the lack of support of OpenMP, is there
anyway to split the nblist while compiling with OpenMP=OFF?

Such loops do O(100k) operations, which is far too small to think about
accelerating with offloading to a device with maybe hundreds of cores,
unless maybe your GPU shares L3 cache.

You would do well to consider reading some of the published work about the
parallelization of GROMACS, e.g.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010465513001975. There's
already an OpenCL port in GROMACS, too.

What is your objective? Why is parallelising GROMACS on some mystery
hardware with neither SIMD nor OpenMP a good thing to do for someone
learning about GROMACS?

Mark