[gmx-developers] GROMACS OpenCL on Gallium

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:02:33 CET 2015

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> can gain a lot from CPU+GPU heterogeneous execution.
>

>>> I'm not sure Intel is totally uninterested. They've just moved out again
>>> their OpenCL SDK form the silly bundle they had before in the latest
>>> release AFAIK because people complained.
>>>
>> Both the comments from Intel people and their performance tell me that it
>> is a low to very low priority. They might be more interested for it for
>> Iris but not for Phi.
>>

> Exactly. Photoshop, Autocad, etc. For the above reasons, I would not
> dismiss OpenCL as relevant. As far as I understood while chatting with
> someone from Intel a few months ago, Adobe and similar big players do use
> OpenCL quite a bit.
>

>> And again Iris will probably not be relevant for HPC.
>>

> O the sort run likely not. And that's unfortunate, I think.
>

>> NVIDIA: no comment.
>>>
>>> HIP and CUDA support seems like a desperate move from AMD to lower the
>>> barrier of entry and make things (seem) easier. Attracting dev/user
>>> interest to stay afloat is crucial for them. It would however be a major
>>> mistake for AMD to move away from OpenCL, I think - unless they want to
>>> shoot themselves in the foot by encouraging people to only write CUDA
>>> kernels for AMD. Still need to look into this closer to understand what the
>>> direction is.
>>>
>> Well that's what they told me. Go ahead write HIP/Cuda and it'll work on
>> AMD.
>>

>>> Overall, I feel like this is the time to not take the back seat. Rather
>>> than letting others decide whether it's going to be open standards or
>>> vendor lock-in that defines the low-level accelerator programming for the
>>> coming years I feel like we, though GROMACS, can show that we care and
>>> perhaps can make a difference. That's why I wrote the previous mail. Don't
>>> get me wrong, I do not have the illusion that tomorrow we can just drop
>>> CUDA support just to make a point. However, providing an a decent
>>> alternative based on OpenCL and pointing out that we want the open
>>> alternative to work as well as the closed one does require effort, but it
>>> is realistic.
>>>
>> Given that we and other won't be willing to drop CUDA as long as it is
>> faster, there is no reason for NVidia to change. And as long as Nvidia
>> doesn't change OpenCL isn't useful for AMD. Hoping that it is different, or
>> asking pretty please, won't change that.
>>

> Shift some developer focus away from CUDA may be just enough to send a
> message, no need to drop CUDA.
>
> Given that there is a substantial effort needed to get from implementing
> some cool new feature to getting it into a production release, one could
> postpone bringing this  feature into a production version (keep it in an
> unmerged under review state) and spend the time saved e.g. on tuning OpenCL
> (e.g. for Intel CPU+iGPU or AMD APUs). This could send a message that may
> be heard and perhaps taken seriously if done repeatedly by multiple OOS

Correction #1: I meant OSS projects.

Correction #2: On a second thought, it does not have to be OSS. Many
projects can make a difference, they just have to be influential enough, I
think. As I see it NVIDIA's dominance is fragile given the quickly shifting
nature of the computing industry and accelertorarchitectures.

--
Szilárd