[gmx-developers] team communication tools for GROMACS

Alexey Shvetsov alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru
Thu Oct 1 22:55:14 CEST 2015

В письме от Thursday 01 October 2015 14:49:31 пользователь Szilárd Páll
написал:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru>
>
> wrote:
> > IRC can be used together with bots that keep channel history, post git
> > update
> > messages, jenkins build messages and so on. Many OSS projects use it as
> > main
> > communication platform (linux kernel development, jolla phone, gentoo,
> > many
> > other distros...)
>
> I have used IRC lightly as a user and I know that it _can_ do most of what
> these glorified web 2+ IRC clones provide.
>
> However, I wonder:
>
> - How much effort is it to set it all up, is it comparable at all? Without
> self-hosting you don't get much (in terms of customization and history
> saving), do you?

jenkins and gerrit has IRC integration plugins, so only need to install them
and give'em login/pass pair for channels. Some plugin exist for redmine.
For history there is a need for self hosting (actualy it can be console irc
client or even bot that will export chat history as web page)

mailto:alexxyum at gmail.com
mailto:alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru