[gmx-developers] team communication tools for GROMACS

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Oct 1 23:34:09 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Roland Schulz <roland at utk.edu> wrote:
>
>> There are a couple see for example:
>> http://beebom.com/2015/04/slack-alternatives-for-team-communication
>>

> I've seen this list, unfortunately none of those listed seemed to offer a
> great deal more/better functionality than slack - except perhaps HipChat
> with 25k history limit, or Pie with no limits _but_  data lock-in due to
> lack of export in the free version - , but I have to admit, I only browsed
> briefly.

I think the pricing structure for slack is quite bad for us. I think the
10,000 is not sufficient in the medium term. And it is probably to
expensive to use anything other than their free plan. And if we hit the
limit and can't afford upgrading, then even if they let us allow to export
data, we would loose all experience, integration, and training with that
system.

Bitrix24 has a first paid plan which might be affordable and a limit which
is probably sufficient even in the medium term. The free plan is sufficient
to test.

We might want to ask for some of them whether they would be willing to
offer us a plan as a academic open-source project which is discounted. And
we should make sure that the pricing plan is sustainable for the long term
so that we don't need to switch later.