[gmx-developers] GMX_FLOAT_EPS changed between 4.6 and 5.0

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Sep 13 06:46:10 CEST 2015

On 12/09/15 22:47, Berk Hess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our definition of eps wasn't according to the standard so we decided to change it to the standard. I realized that this would change the PME table spacing and decided that the sqrt(2) wider table was accurate enough. We used to have a max error of the old eps, which was half the least significant bit, now it's the full last significant bit (which is still causes less error than nearly all other aspects of the MD calculation).
> But since that was already changed before the 5.0 release, how could that cause issues now?

It is not the problem indeed (although I haven't found the real problem).
The function v_lj_ewald_lr is misbehaving too - even Mathematica has a
problem with it. I think we should implement a function that computes
the force too. Below are the forces coming from interpolating the
function from r=0 to 0.01 nm or so (but note there most likely is
another bug in my code too):

     <Real>10644874.403984804</Real>
     <Real>-8110537.3092005597</Real>
     <Real>2771009.9891670179</Real>