[gmx-developers] team communication tools for GROMACS

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:47:03 CEST 2015

IRC has been on my radar and in fact it has been suggested a while ago
during GROMACS dev discussion, but somehow it has never had enough appeal
to get adopted by developers.

One likely reason is the barrier to start using IRC and that integration of
other productivity tools is quite DYI. AFAIK these are the aspects where
slack - and possibly other similar alternatives win: user-friedliness and
service-integration e.g. Google hangouts for video calls, Gihub,
Dropbox/Box, Github, custom hooks (e.g. we could have jenkins, gerrit
messages posted, etc.).

Interestingly Slack has won over some communities, a notable example is WP:
https://make.wordpress.org/chat/
and this post points out some of the differences between the two and why
they've switched to slack.

I'll wait a bit more, but if there are no competing thoughts I'll set up
slack and see how well it works.

Szilárd