[gmx-developers] Which nonlinear constraint equation is being solved in GROMACS subroutine cshake()?

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Apr 4 14:31:59 CEST 2016

Hi,

You have identified the correct function.
The exact Lagrange multiplier is described in a comment in the code:
scaled_lagrange_multiplier    Scaled Lagrange multiplier for each
constraint (-2 * eta from p. 336
  *                                             of the paper, divided by
the constraint distance)

But SHAKE is almost never used in GROMACS, because LINCS is faster and
especially because SHAKE is ill suited for parallelization over MPI. The
only other constraint method I know of that would be suitable is CG
MSHAKE, for a comparison with SHAKE and LINCS see:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1140%2Fepjst%2Fe2011-01525-9
But there would not be any significant advantage over LINCS.

Cheers,

Berk