[gmx-developers] Random number blues

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:16:59 CEST 2016

Hi,

Yes, two unfortunately (even for the simple stuff):

1) Avoiding buggy standard library implementations
2) Portability - the sequence of random numbers will depend on your standard library

I have no idea whether there _should_ be a unique definition for the algorithms used internally in C++11, but I tested a large number of implementations and the results differ a lot.
There are also bugs for some of the more specialized distributions (gamma) in a few implementations, so when I got to that point I simply decided we need our own known-good-and-portable version.

My recommendation would be to stick with this for everything, rather than trying to document, remember, and check where the standard library isn’t broken….

Cheers,

Erik