[gmx-developers] Ideologically biased quotes

Vedran Miletić vedran at miletic.net
Wed Dec 7 15:50:50 CET 2016

On 12/07/2016 01:18 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 07/12/16 13:05, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>> Hi Vedran,
>>
>> Partly agree. There are a couple of recent purely political quotes that
>> should probably go; I have no particular interest in staying 'neutral',
>> but I think it's a reasonable requirement that there should be a direct
>> connection to science/engineering/programming - otherwise we might soon
>> end up with a torrent of quotes that are completely unrelated to what we
>> do, and that would be a shame.
>>
>> On the other hand, I don't want us to be too touchy either, but in
>> particular when it comes to contentious topics it's probably a good idea
>> to consider adding a couple of jokes from both points-of-view rather
>> than pushing your own ideas. Personally I think it would be pretty fun
>> to have a couple of pro-religion jokes about science, but I haven't been
>> very good at finding them :-)

Agree with both points, elaborated the first one in the other message.

> I guess I'm one of the "guilty" ones. Let's not restart the long
> discussions we had some years ago. Just please commit a change removing
> "offensive" quotes.

Please don't take this personally.

I don't find any of the quotes offensive. I didn't find the "Unix
children processes" quote problematic either. I strongly favor free
speech and you have every right to quote whoever you want.

I just believe GROMACS is not a place for debating unrelated social
issues and that we should not try to make it into one. If we can agree
on this, I will gladly prepare a patch.

Regards,
Vedran

--