[gmx-developers] Ideologically biased quotes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 7 15:58:32 CET 2016

On 12/7/16 9:44 AM, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 01:43 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:

> 1) I don't have any strong feelings either way. Google Translate works well.
> 2) I don't have any problems with the jokes. In fact, most of the quotes
> do bring a smile to my face and faces of my colleagues. It would be
> great to keep them.
> 3) Absolutely.

> I would strongly recommend to keep them.
>
>>> Isn't the post-factual world all about quotes?
>>>

> It is.
>
>>> I like the quotes, since they often make me laugh, so I (and several
>>> colleagues
>>> I know of) would not like to see them go. I don't know about the
>>> community at
>>> large though.
>>> I don't have strong opinions on rules, apart from avoiding
>>> self-censorship.
>>> Erik's suggestions sound reasonable to me.
>>>

> +1
>

>> I agree.  I like them, and I know several people that certainly find
>> them funny and make using GROMACS enjoyable and unique.
>>
>> The move from binary to plain text was motivated, in part, due to the
>> previous discussion on charged quotes - people can edit out anything
>> they don't like (yay, flexibility!) and we got rid of a few that
>> consensus dictated were perhaps poorly received.  The fact that the
>> quotes are now in a source file, requiring the user to completely
>> re-compile the code rather than edit a simple text file has somewhat
>> raised that barrier.  Obviously good from a software perspective,
>> perhaps not so good from a user perspective.
>>

> People can edit the quotes, sure, as they can fork the project and
> change all of the quotes and distribute their fork. That is not the
> point; the point is avoiding picking a side in any ideological debate
> unrelated to science and/or software. If we start adding quotes about
> unrelated stuff, we can compete ad infinitum among us who can quote more
> authors/politicians/pop culture in favor of their side. I would much
> prefer to avoid that.

Trust me, I agree.  As someone who has (so far) survived the political climate
in this country, I want to keep my scientific software as non-controversial as
possible (it's the one thing that will be that way in my day...)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore